Gary has assumed “inactive” status with the Supreme Court of Ohio
I graduated with highest honors from Auburn University with a B.A. in English and received my law degree from Cornell Law School (1999). I focus my practice on dispute resolution: litigation, mediations, arbitrations, trial, and appeals. I’m admitted to practice in the State of Ohio and a number of federal courts.
- I can’t prove it, but I am one of the ten biggest fans of the Cleveland Orchestra.
- I am a rowing enthusiast. See the bottom of this page.
- I am an NRA instructor, specializing in teaching Ohio CCW training. Go to GunIQ.training to register for CCW training.
- I have a Master’s Degree from the United States Army Command and General Staff College, School of Advanced Military Studies at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, and I was awarded the Silver Star as an infantry company commander in Kuwait.
- I sit on the Executive Board of the United States Chess Federation as President.
More about Gary:
Gary focuses his practice on representation in litigation and other forms of dispute resolution concerning financial institutions, intellectual property disputes, fiduciary duties, contracts, business torts, corporate governance, securities and finance, professional malpractice (including lawyer malpractice), ERISA, and tax controversies. Gary has represented several major charitable institutions and foundations in litigation matters.
Gary is admitted to practice in the State of Ohio, United States District Courts for the Northern District of Ohio, Eastern District of Wisconsin, Colorado, and the United States Courts of Appeals for the Third, Sixth, and Ninth Circuits.
Gary’s representations include:
- Representation of a pet tool manufacturer in a patent infringement case in the Eastern District of Missouri.
- Representation of a copyright owner in a copyright infringement matter in the Southern District of Florida.
- Representation of a sign company in a patent infringement case in the Northern District of Ohio.
- Representation of two Fortune 250 manufacturing companies and a Fortune 20 telecommunications corporation in matters with the IRS involving the disallowance of interest deductions related to Corporate Owned Life Insurance (COLI).
- Representation of a major bank in a $100 million take-out lending dispute.
- Defense of a major bank in matters involving vicarious theories of liability related to a Ponzi scheme.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict at trial for a major non-profit corporation in a contract dispute.
- Representation of a Fortune 250 manufacturing company in an action with the IRS involving a substantial understatement penalty.
- Representation of a major bank in a matter with the IRS involving Bank Owned Life Insurance (BOLI).
- Defense of a major bank serving as a directed trustee in an ERISA action.
- Defense of a law firm in a legal malpractice action related to an alleged conflict of interest and failure to meet the required standard of care.
- Representation of a major financial institution against a major law firm relating to legal malpractice. Action led to a $5.9 million settlement.
- Obtained a jury verdict in excess of $3 million on behalf of a major iron ore producer in a contract dispute over the purchase of a pelletizer plant.
- Defense of a major automobile manufacturer in a property damage action resulting due to an alleged ignition switch fire.
- Representation of a major pharmaceutical company in arbitration involving a co-promotion agreement. Action resulted in an award of $68 million.
- Defense of a major automobile manufacturer in a personal injury action based upon alleged defects in design and manufacture.
- Defense of a brokerage house in connection with the largest retail brokerage fraud in SEC history.
- Various representations related to mortgage fraud.
- Representation of a major non-profit organization in protecting its contract rights in advance of the 2014 Gay Games to be held in Cleveland.
- Representation of a major Community Foundation in the enforcement of its rights under a $40 million charitable set aside trust.